The huge beach nourishment project is now completed at Sea Notes, although they are still working a short way down the beach below Dianne Street. Over time they will still be planting sea oats on the top and West side of the dune and will be installing sand fencing on the East side of the top of the dune.
Welcome back to Sea Notes for the 2017 season. We have been busy with the usual things such as deep cleaning, lots of paint touch up, restocking the kitchen and other things. We’ve also tried to add a bit more landscaping. We keep trying to get the 12 volt outdoor lighting working but it seems a losing battle against the ocean corrosion. We did repair and replace much of the outdoor deck outlets and lighting. Among some of the bigger things is repairing some decking and railings on the dune deck, making it in effect more roomy and we added a built-in bench. We also got rid of the old dreary outdoor shower and replaced it with a great new, large, partitioned outdoor shower in a slightly different location, and added some new ground decking around it. We had the large sliding door removed and reinstalled so that it slides much better. And, something somewhat hidden, we replaced the water heater, and replaced it with a new, higher capacity system in a better location.
Hope you have a great vacation in 2017!
We had the opportunity to visit Sea Notes between rentals on May 21 and saw in the guest book that people have been very happy with their vacations and the house so far this season. And we have only had to make one repair – to the dishwasher which was working but didn’t seem to provide the heated drying. The repairman had a little trouble getting the dishwasher out because of the new floor, but did finally get it out and repaired it.
The 2016 rental season for Sea Notes has begun as of March 19 and we welcome all our renters. The season this year extends until October 29. We hope everyone enjoys all the new improvements that we have made.
I had earlier posted that we had a harsh winter again but hadn’t seen any damage to the water pipes. I spoke too soon. Once I turned on and tested the outdoor pipes, I found a leak in the pipe going out to the dune deck faucet. So that had to be repaired and in the process I moved the faucet back just a little to a move convenient location.
We have had a contract to replace the front door and some windows since last November and it should finally get started today, February 18. The windows include the two sets of two windows in each of the king bedrooms. In the master bedroom they will be replaced with the same size windows. In the other kind bedroom, the windows will be enlarged to have the same height as in the master bedroom. We are also having the small windows replaced at the top of the stairs. Each set of two “awning” windows (which currently have rusted mechanisms and don’t operate well) will be replaced with one double-hung window that will operate much more smoothly.
We have almost completely redone the two bathrooms on the mid level. The master bedroom bathroom was newly painted, the shower stall was newly surfaced, the floor was replaced, a new toilet and vanity were installed, and a variety of accessories were replaced.
The hallway bathroom was also newly painted, the floor was replaced, a new toilet and vanity were installed, a variety of accessories were replaced, most of the electrical items were upgraded, and a new second door was installed. The door enters into the other king bedroom so that the bedroom can optionally be used as a master bedroom.
In the upstairs bathroom, a new floor was installed along with a new toilet.
Again, we have had a harsh winter here in Duck. It started off fairly mild, but in January and February we had an unusual winter. At least twice we had cold spells that left us below freezing over nearly three days and once we had a snow that left about 6 inches. Although we had five freezing pipes that burst and had to be repaired the previous two winters, so far we haven’t yet had any recurrences this winter.
Sea Notes now has new flooring for the entire upstairs and for the two mid-level bathrooms. Previously the flooring was ceramic tile that was prone to cracking, was uneven and very hard, and had grout that was continually coming out. Now we have a new modern wood-look vinyl floor that is highly water-resistant and has a cork backing to make it softer. It is installed (as of February 12) everywhere upstairs (great room, dining area, kitchen and bathroom) and in the two bathrooms downstairs. It will also be installed in the entryway, but is currently waiting on a new door installation. We have also ordered two area rugs for the great room, which will be under the two seating areas.
Just before the rental season began, the spa “guy” had to replace a pump. Although the spa could make it through the season, we decided it would be nicer to go ahead and have the spa replaced sooner rather than later. It was replaced during the third rental week, on April 13, and that week’s renter was able to enjoy a new, improved spa.